Monday, February 23, 2015

My black belt in martial arts allows me to kick ass in business too

Everybody was kung-fu fighting and I was one of them. I have a black belt in Shaolin Long Fist and I'm studying Wing Chun. But, whether you study traditional, modern, or MMA fighting, the arts can prepare you for the business arena. The following is four things I learned in a Gee that helps me in business today.

1. Salute your elders
Give appreciation to the people who helped paved the way. If I attempted to walk in the dojo and not salute, I had to drop where I was and do 10 diamond pushups. My instructor would make sure I had it harder that class. People are more likely to help you if they see you show respect.

2. Discipline
The only difference between a black belt and a white belt is the black belt kept going. The greats were once nobodies. No one cared who Bruce Lee was or Steve Jobs in the beginning of their journeys. They are people who worked on their craft day in and day out. You have to develop this same mentality to work on your craft to become the best in your industry.

3. Go hard or don't show up!
I hated soft contact, I don't think it's practical  in self protection or in business. The only way to improve your skills is to face real world situations. I don't believe in self-defense that's another way of saying losing slowly.  Go hard in the dojo and in your field, and see how drastically the skills you work on improve.

4. Be able to adapt
We train as if we don't know the other guy, so often my sparring partner will pull toy-weapons, and, we must adapt. The same can be said for business.  Deals go every way but the way you need. Cars break down on the way to an appointment, life happens when you make plans.  You must be like water. If you put water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put it in a cup, it becomes the cup. Water can flow or it can crash. If you want to dominate be water my friend...be water, and adapt to every situation fluidly.

No comments:

Post a Comment