Friday, February 13, 2015

Business lessons learned through video games

I love playing video games. I once considered them my anti-drug. That was until I closed my first real estate deal. That was a high like no other and I am truly addicted. There hasn't been a game invented that can keep me from my realty fix. But I still enjoy gaming and have gained valuable lessons about business and life through playing video games.

Lesson one… 
It takes timing: it didn't matter if I was looking for love, trying to get in front of the next client to close my deal, or trying to pull off a headshot in Call of Duty, timing is important. The more I rushed it,  the more likely I ended up being hurt, burned in a deal, or being killed in the game. ( It was a lucky shot he didn't even see me.)

Lesson two… 
You need a strategy. In almost all of the games I play there is a need for a plan of action. The same holds true in business.  The first thing you need to do is stop and think of the most effective and efficient way of achieving your goals. For me it is networking and building relationships with the correct people.

Lesson three… 
Build a dominant team: business and competitive gaming are team sports. And, weather your taking the flag and running back to home base or fighting for market share. You only want the people that's going to fight as hard as you if not harder. You want the guy / girl to come to the table with the insight and skill that will improve the team and ultimately win the game!

Lesson four… 
Be aggressive : In life, gaming, and business if you don't fight,  you will lose and that's no fun for anyone. Why even show up if you're not playing to win. You must go after what you want in your life. There's nothing like struggling level after level, and finally defeating the villain and saving the princess or making calls getting pass every "no" and objection they throw at you to finally get that "yes."
I have found that the same skills required to progress in the various games that I enjoy can be used to progress in the world at large. That's what makes this game called life so much fun. There is levels to this sh* t, so set a goal and go play.

No comments:

Post a Comment